Saturday, September 20, 2008

MMJ Anytime!

I listened to My Morning Jacket's live album Okonokos pretty much non stop from 2006-2007. I can't explain why either. I was getting into the slide guitar country/bluegrass sound and Emmons recommended My Morning Jacket to me. Overall Okonokos sounds really heavily edited, but I actually think most of the songs sound better than the actual studio versions.

Not to overhype it, but this song is pure catchy. Anytime is easy to sing along with, has keyboard, guitars, some oh-ohs/yeah-yeahs, and makes a Madonna reference, what else could you possibly ask for? Not a lot of deep meanings or metaphors here, but that's okay.



For those of you with shorter attention spans, here's the sock puppet version:

5 comments:

Osman said...

MMJ (I'm sure nobody here will agree with me on this) are one of the only bands formed after 1996 that're worth a damn. You should see these guys performance on Austin City Limits from ~06. It stayed on my DVR forever and I musta watched it a million times.

Aaron F. said...

Jon, you're absolutely right, this song is catchy as hell. I really like their full out rock songs like this. I just get bored during their slower songs. I think i would play a best-of album of theirs a ton, but i can't sit down and listen to a full album, for the most part. Plus, i think they sound very similar to Band of Horses, and i fell ass over head in love with BOH before i'd really listened to MMJ, so that could be a part of it.

As far as Osman's ridiculous claim that there's no good music after 1996, i couldn't disagree more. In fact, i'm going to make it my goal to convince you otherwise. I had a huge elaborate plan for my next post, but i'm scrapping it to try to reach my target market - a jaded Paki music snob.

Osmi, it's so weird that you like all this old stuff so much, but it has no nostalgic value for you. It makes sense when you see fat, drunk 40 year olds saying there will never be another metallica. It makes no sense that there's a 26 year old dude who only loves obscure 70's and 80's punk/garage sounding stuff. I don't get it, but that's a part of your allure.

Box in the Jack said...

Thanks for the sock puppets (whoever thought it was a good idea to make that video...... they were right).
MMJ are hit or miss with me too. Overall, I thought Z was a pretty good album though, and I have heard nothing but good things about their live show.

This song is catchy like flypaper.

Dave said...

I agree that MMJ and Band of Horses are extremely similar. But, I think that MMJ's highest highs in terms of songs are higher than Band of Horses. Although, I don't think either band has put out an album that is perfect the whole way through.

Dave said...

Fleet Foxes self titled CD that just came out might have the highest highs of either of these bands (all the same band).