Monday, September 22, 2008

Andrew Bird - Imitosis

I recently discovered Andrew Bird. There are only a handful of bands, or songwriters that can coax me to buy an album after hearing only one song. But after hearing the song "Heretics", I was completely sold. The entire album, Armchair Apocrypha has been pretty well revolved in my car stereo since I bought it, and I don't plan on taking it out anytime soon. I know that different things hit different people, so I don't expect everyone to react to this like I did. This just gives you a good idea of what moves me, and therefore, a little peek into the window of my soul. I hope you all enjoy it at least a little.

Oh yeah, I looked up "Imitosis" and there was no definition, but I imagine it is the reversal or opposite of the process of Mitosis (ala "mature" vs. "immature").

mitosis– noun Cell Biology. the usual method of cell division, characterized typically by the resolving of the chromatin of the nucleus into a threadlike form, which condenses into chromosomes, each of which separates longitudinally into two parts, one part of each chromosome being retained in each of two new cells resulting from the original cell.

2 comments:

Dave said...

The song grew on me more towards the end. I don't know if I like the whole "Mr. Wizard" feel of the video, but I thought it was funny when those insect started dancing together.

Aaron F. said...

i've been pretty luke-warm towards Andrew Bird since i first heard him. I think the biggest part of the problem was he's an obvious BJ Thomas musician, and Brian and i don't normally agree on the singer-songwriter front. but, this is so much better than i thought at first.

the instrumentation is great. the instruments he uses don't sound like they are there just because he wants to use as many instruments as possible. it's actually the absolutely correct place to have a xylophone, or any of the other less standard instruments used.