Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Gutter Twins - Misery/Flower

I wouldn't say i have a huge passion for this song, but i have a ton of thoughts on the song, and it fascinates me in a lot of ways.

The Gutter Twins (worst name ever?) is a collaboration between Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan from the Afghan Whigs and Screaming Trees, respectively. I'm amazed that two guys that were in bands that peaked in the early/mid 90s can make new music that doesn't sound dated at all. Plus, Lanegan was in Soulsavers last year, and that album is the shit.

It is rare to have someone maintain a career and stay relevant. Although they are obviously not huge, they are a legit band on a respected label, and the music is good.

As for the song itself - I really don't fully understand this song. It feels like the biggest build-up of all time, but there's never any cathartic release at the end. But, i kind of like that, in a No Country for Old Men kind of way (has that become the standard for feeling unsatisfied at the end of a movie, song, book?). Plus, I love Greg Dulli's voice so much. He looks so funny behind the mic in this video. It's really easy to picture how he looked as a sullen 13 year-old, with his chin jutting out like that. i'll bet he wore a lot of dirty tank tops.

Sorry for doing two songs back to back. I'm not going to make it a habit. But, i felt like i all of a sudden had a ton to say about this song. Plus, i wasn't able to post the last two nights, due to the problem with Flash 9 and firefox.

3 comments:

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robocop guy said...

Ok, I think we need to figure out the worst band names here some of my selections:
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe (it sounds like a law firm)
VSOP - Very special one time performance (they made two albums and toured the world, nice one time performance)
F#@% Buttons - (Just reeks of effort)
Black Kids

Aaron F. said...

hahaha bad band names?

- The Go
- Cute is What We Aim For
- Does it Offend You? Yeah?
- Gay Dad
- Jimmy Buffet

I'm going to think of some that are worse.

there's a hilarious band name generator at www.bandnamemaker.com