ok. Since January, i have been completely obsessed with Menomena. They make the most intelligent and interesting music of anyone that I've listened to over the last few years. They are some art school nerds from Portland, and their videos are as sweet as their songs.
This song is the most epic-sounding song on the album. Who knows what they're actually talking about. For all i know, they just tossed together some words that sound good. But, i'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion on the lyrics.
So, enjoy:
ps #1: When you are on the youtube page that you want to embed (enbed? spelling?), on the right side of the page it shows the URL for the link, and the URL to embed the video. You OBVIOUSLY choose the URL to embed the video.
ps #2: I'm afraid that i'm going to blow my load in the first few weeks. I'm going to try to limit myself to only a couple posts a week.
ps #3: Let's try to be consistent with the labels for the posts. It would be cool to have helpful labels to sort through the posts. I suggest we include the type of music, and the person who posted the song. Let me know if you have more ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is the most intelligent, well executed, conceptual video I think I have ever seen. I liked the song before. I like it 132 times more now.
hahhahahaha
I agree 100% with both of you. Bri, i'm glad you like the video so much. I was blown away the first time i saw it. It used to be on On Demand. It was so sweet to have it on Ari's huge TV and play it over the stereo.
That is a good video, even though it is pretty sad. The music still hasn't grabbed me...
I like: Poster, Artist, Year and Genre. Why didn't we just make our actual names our posting names if we are going to bother to put our real name next to every song we put on here?
Also, some of the videos on Youtube can't be embedded. I was going to put the song "Weapon of Choice" by The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and it said the embedding option was "removed by request from user" or something along those lines.
I've been letting this one play a lot over the past few days. I'm really liking it. There's this really nice melody buried under the heavy bass lines.
As for the lyrics, I think my opinion might be tainted by the video. At first, I got this corporate feel from the video and lyrics. But, after having read the lyrics, I think it's much broader in scope then that.
People go to great lengths to feel useful. It doesn't really matter how grand your useful skill/attribute/task is, it's all about the reassurance you get knowing at least one person depends on you. The songs tone and lyrics hint at a darker side. Possibly the loss of self and subservient nature that come about while struggling for approval.
Post a Comment