I'm sure you already knew this, but they released a live CD in 2004 of a show they did at the Plaza Amphitheater in Pontiac on September 4th, 1993.
Here's a brief section of a review of said CD from AllMusic: "There are two types of fans at Fugazi shows: The first is the Fugazi supporter, the nerdier punk who finds the aesthetic and motivation of the band to be gospel, and is willing to take all the strange left turns the band makes without batting an eye. Basically, a fan of Fugazi who understands what it is Fugazi is trying to do. The second kind of fan is the abusive, attitude-laden punk who still hopes to hear a Minor Threat song, and loves to taunt both Ian MacKaye and other members of the audience. You never hear much about the first type of fan, but -- as so perfectly captured here on this volume of the Fugazi Live Series -- you always hear a lot about the second. And on Vol. 9 of this series, the listener gains a proper understanding of what the "attitude faction" does, and how it derails a Fugazi set (if only for a few moments.) Which is a shame, admittedly, because the show on Vol. 9 (the actual show, not the sideshow of a few jerks trying to get some repressed emotions out) is one of their best. "
That's really funny and aside from wanting to hear it because I haven't heard much by them other than The Argument, it would be good to hear the abuse Ian Mackaye is taking.
I don't think I would last in a room with Ian for very long.
p.s. Just like not winning friends with salad, you don't win fans with live versions of songs. Give me the studio version so I can hear how this song was supposed to sound, then I can go ahead and not bother with the live version.
This is great stuff. Fugazi are definitely on my top 5 list of bands i'd love to see. i wish they would just put out one more album. The argument is amazing, and i'd love to see where they go from there.
Emmons why do you hate live music so much? It's the way the good lord intended you to hear music.
I've never really understood the Fugazi obsession. This song is good, but it's not mind blowing. WTF am I missing, because I feel pretty alone on this.
4 comments:
I'm sure you already knew this, but they released a live CD in 2004 of a show they did at the Plaza Amphitheater in Pontiac on September 4th, 1993.
Here's a brief section of a review of said CD from AllMusic:
"There are two types of fans at Fugazi shows: The first is the Fugazi supporter, the nerdier punk who finds the aesthetic and motivation of the band to be gospel, and is willing to take all the strange left turns the band makes without batting an eye. Basically, a fan of Fugazi who understands what it is Fugazi is trying to do. The second kind of fan is the abusive, attitude-laden punk who still hopes to hear a Minor Threat song, and loves to taunt both Ian MacKaye and other members of the audience. You never hear much about the first type of fan, but -- as so perfectly captured here on this volume of the Fugazi Live Series -- you always hear a lot about the second. And on Vol. 9 of this series, the listener gains a proper understanding of what the "attitude faction" does, and how it derails a Fugazi set (if only for a few moments.) Which is a shame, admittedly, because the show on Vol. 9 (the actual show, not the sideshow of a few jerks trying to get some repressed emotions out) is one of their best. "
That's really funny and aside from wanting to hear it because I haven't heard much by them other than The Argument, it would be good to hear the abuse Ian Mackaye is taking.
I don't think I would last in a room with Ian for very long.
p.s. Just like not winning friends with salad, you don't win fans with live versions of songs. Give me the studio version so I can hear how this song was supposed to sound, then I can go ahead and not bother with the live version.
Good Day.
This is great stuff. Fugazi are definitely on my top 5 list of bands i'd love to see. i wish they would just put out one more album. The argument is amazing, and i'd love to see where they go from there.
Emmons why do you hate live music so much? It's the way the good lord intended you to hear music.
I've never really understood the Fugazi obsession. This song is good, but it's not mind blowing. WTF am I missing, because I feel pretty alone on this.
Radon-
Get the studio version of this song, then you may understand it.
Do not besmirch the Good Lord's name in the same sentence as "Live Music"
Post a Comment