Alright. So, the book High Fidelity was a favorite of mine in high school. The main character, a music snob, is always talking about how his favorite album is by the Flying Burrito Brothers. I figured the author (Nick Hornby) just chose this band because they are obscure with a goofy name; just the kind of band a music store owner would love.
Finally, about three years ago, i decided to look up the burrito brothers. Ummm, i was dead wrong about them. They are the real deal. I really don't like music from the sixties, i definitely don't like country, and i have a fair amount of disgust for the white race in general. Nevertheless, this song, and the whole album, is phenomenal. My favorite song is Sin City (probably #4 or 5 on my all-time favorite song list), but this video is just too entertaining.
The guy with the hair is Chris Hillman. He was in the Byrds beforehand. The dude in the stupid hat is Gram Parsons, best known for having his corpse stolen and set on fire.
Please enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
He looks like he's about twenty. He sounds like he is about forty. This is a surprise favorite by you, Surma. Last thing on the planet I would expect you to listen to.
Diggin' the slide guitar solo. Kinda heavy.
The slide guitar solo definitely completes it for me. I don't know if I've ever heard a slide guitar that heavy.
Bonus points for the High Fidelity reference and the band name.
The corpse fire intrigued me. Here's an account of his death, http://ebni.com/byrds/memgrp6.html. I'm only a few paragraphs in and already it's drinking, marijuana, morphine, heroin, and hepatitis. Can't wait to read the rest.
"and i have a fair amount of disgust for the white race in general."
uhhh........?
on the 31st floor
a gold plated door
won't keep out the lord's burnin rays
i never in my wildest dreams woulda thought aaron would be down with the flying burrito brothers. btw jon, there was a horrible movie made about gram parson's death called grand theft parson's starring johnny knoxville.
Dave, it was a joke. i was exaggerating how unlike my normal tastes this band is.
We should make two write-ups for every song, the real version, and the dave version.
Don't get mad at me cause your dumb little joke failed... :(
It's not that surprising to hear that you like this song considering some of the more twangier blue grass I've heard you blasting.
This song isn't that bad.
Post a Comment